The Graduate Certificate in Health Informatics provides learners with the skills necessary to participate in the selection, use, and evaluation of information technology applications throughout the health services industry. The certificate program is designed for physicians, nurses, managers, information system designers, consultants, and others committed to the application of information technology for improving the quality, safety, and efficiency of health services.
The Graduate Certificate in Health Informatics is designed to serve as either a stand-alone certificate program for non-degree learners interested in health and biomedical informatics or an integrated certificate program for degree-seeking University of Missouri students who are enrolled in a graduate degree program. All four courses may be applied toward the ultimate completion of the Master of Science (MS) in Health Informatics degree.
Students may pursue the certificate through either the Executive mode, an online distance-learning format that incorporates on-campus weekend meetings, or the Residential mode, which includes traditional in person classes that meet two times per week.
To earn the certificate, students must complete a minimum of four courses (12 graduate credit hours).
Health Informatics Certificate Courses
- HMI 7430 - Introduction to Health Informatics
Students must choose and complete three additional courses from the following list
- HMI 7431 - Foundations of Public Health Informatics
- HMI 7436 - Telehealth
- HMI 7440 - Health Information Technology
- HMI 7566 - Health Informatics Ethics
- HMI 8435 - Information Security, Evaluation, and Policy
- HMI 8437 - Data Warehousing and Data/Text Mining for Health Care
- HMI 8441 - Biomedical and Health Vocabularies and Ontologies
- HMI 8443 - Enterprise Information Architecture
- HMI 8550 - Health Data Analytics
- HMI 8571 - Decision Support in Health Care Systems
- HMI 8610 - Consumer Health Informatics
- HMI 8870 - Knowledge Representation in Biology and Medicine
For course descriptions, see http://catalog.missouri.edu/courseofferings/hmi/. Current students may check MyZou for up-to-date schedule information.
Apply to the Health Informatics Graduate Certificate Program
Certificate-seeking students apply to the Graduate Certificate Program in Health Informatics by completing and submitting the Graduate Studies online application.