The Department of Health Management and Informatics' online Graduate Certificate in Health Care Project Management provides participants an in-depth understanding of the fundamentals of project management and its application to health care.
A problem-based approach is used to frame both the theoretical underpinnings of project management and hands-on learning, including agile project management. The core HMI 8580 Project Management course prepares students to successfully complete a CAPM or PMP exam to become a certified project manager.
The 100 percent online certificate program is designed for health care and informatics professionals desiring a non-residential program to obtain project management expertise for current employment and for future career development. This graduate certificate is also appropriate for participants from non-health care disciplines, such as computer science, bio-medical engineering, and industrial engineering transitioning to health care by adding project management skills and an industry-recognized certificate. Current graduate students and others desiring an entirely in-person format also have the option to pursue the certificate in on-campus mode.
Any of the below listed job titles would be enhanced by this Graduate Certificate in Health Care Project Management.
- Medical and Health Services Managers
- Physicians Group/Practice Managers
- Project Managers/Project Office Administrators
- Management Analysts
- Technology Project Managers
- Registered Nurses/Nurse Administrator
- Informatics Nurse Specialists
- Chief Medical Informatics Officers
- Chief Financial Officers
- Clinical Data Managers/Administrators
- Financial/Business Analysts
- Administrative Services Managers
- Quality Control Systems Managers
- Software Developers
Students could also potentially qualify for the following professional certifications:
- Certified Associate in Project Management (CAP-M)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Agile Certified PM (PMI-ACP)
To earn the certificate, students must complete a minimum of four courses (12 graduate credit hours).
Graduate Certificate in Health Care Project Management Courses
Core Courses (both required/6 credit hours)
- HMI 8580 – Project Management
- HMI 8880 – Agile Project Management
Elective Courses (select two)
- HMI 7430 – Introduction to Health Informatics
- HMI 8450 – Methods of Health Services Research
- HMI 8401-03 – Topics in HMI: Telehealth
- HMI 8610 – Consumer Health Informatics
Additional elective course options are available for students pursuing the certificate in on-campus format. Other elective options may also be available depending on individual student needs.
Current students may check MyZou for up-to-date schedule information.