Thank you for your interest in MU Family Medicine. While we would love to meet you in person, we have had to embrace a virtual interview season given the challenges of the Covid-19 pandemic.
We will do our best to really get to know you and introduce you to our residents, faculty and residency staff in a way that feels real and personal. I can’t wait to tell you all about our residency and introduce you to the people who make our program strong!
I will kick off your interview day with an interactive overview of our program that I will present to all the applicants joining us that day. Then you will have the opportunity to talk with faculty and residents individually. In between individual meetings, we have built in “video breaks” during which you can watch short videos highlighting our four continuity clinics, our inpatient service, and our maternity care service and the city of Columbia. This year MU Family Medicine celebrates its 50th year-we’d love to have you be a part of the celebration!
Erika Ringdahl, MD
Professor and Residency Director
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying for a family medicine residency position, please use the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). Our program does not have a supplemental application.
To apply for our Family Medicine Residency Program, list NRMP#1994120C0 on your application. Supporting documents are required and should be directed to ERAS:
- Personal statement
- Three letters of recommendations from persons familiar with your clinical performance, at least one of these must be a family physician
- Transcript and Dean's letter of reference
- USMLE or COMLEX scores
- Recent professional photograph
We do not offer observerships or externships. We accept applications only through ERAS, and our application deadline is January 1. Requirements for those applying to our Family Medicine Residency Program include:
- Applicants must meet one or more of these criteria:
- Graduated from medical school in year 2019 or later
- Currently enrolled in a residency program
- Employed in a full-time clinical practice within the last six months.
- Applicants must have a strong commitment to, and evidence of experience in, family medicine. Experience in the United States is not required.
- Applicants must be eligible for a Missouri medical license. No minimum USMLE or COMLEX scores are required.
- No USMLE Step 2 score necessary to apply or interview, but it is required before ranking on Feb. 1.
- Among Caribbean Schools we interview applicants from the following: American University of the Caribbean, Ross, St. Georges and Saba. This policy is based on past experience with training and licensure.
- Applicants must be able to speak fluent English.
- Non-U.S. citizens much obtain their visa before our program start date of July 1. We sponsor J1 visas only.