The Neurology Department offers a four-week clinical clerkship for 3rd and 4th-year medical students enrolled at the MU School of Medicine. Students can complete the clerkship at Columbia, Springfield or through the Rural Track Program. Venues in Columbia are University Hospital and University Physicians Medical Building. Springfield venues are CoxHealth and Mercy. The Rural Track program venues will vary.
Throughout this clerkship, students will be provided with the tools necessary to become competent with localization, diagnosis of common neurological disorders and their management. At the completion of this clerkship, a successful student will have the ability to understand the intricacies of the neurologic patient as it pertains to patient and family-centered care. Objectives will be achieved through a variety of instructional methods. Core competencies interwoven throughout medical training will be stressed. These core competencies will include patient care, medical knowledge, practiced based learning and improvement, systems-based practice, professionalism, and interpersonal skills/communication.
- In 2018, neurology faculty teaching satisfaction scores were 56.0%, which is higher than the national average
- In the past four years, neurology faculty has been awarded more than 50 local and national teaching awards
- 2018: Outstanding Resident Teacher award
- 2018: University of Missouri Clerkship Innovation Award
- 2017: AAN Clerkship Director Teaching Award
- 2016: Clerkship Coordinator Award
Find more information about our Springfield Program on our Clinical Campus Locations page.