The Department of Neurology offers a limited number of non-compensated positions to individuals wishing to gain experience and increase their knowledge of Neurology. Observership offerings are up to 3, 4-week blocks in length with opportunities in both clinical and research aspects.
Clinical Observer: Clinical Observers do not have direct contact with patients, but you may be able to observer a physician's interactions with a patient upon receiving patient consent. Observers initially will not have any direct responsibilities for any clinical activity; however, over time under the direct supervision of a physician you may be able to perform these activities as assigned to you.
- Research Observer: Research Observer's activities consist of preparation and participation in didactic sessions, ongoing, academic and research activities. Observers initially will not have any direct responsibilities for any research activity; however, over time, under the direct supervision of a mentor, you may be able to perform these activities as assigned to you.
- Graduation from a LCME accredited or IMED Medical School
- Passing Scores for USMLE: Step 1, Step 2CK, Step 3
- Will acquire a sponsor or preceptor who is an active MU Health Care Physician/Researcher in the Department of Neurology, and not a relative. (The Program Coordinator can assist with this)
- Application Fee: A $750 non-refundable application fee that is due prior to your file being reviewed.
- Block Fee: The cost of the observership is $1500 per 4-week block, for up to three blocks of each Observer Type.
To apply please submit the following:
- Observer Application
- $750 application fee*
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- 3 Letters of Recommendation.
- ECFMG certification (if applicable)
- Personal Statement
- Copy of medical school diploma
- USMLE Scores (must include information on number of attempts)
Please make payments payable and mail to:
Curators of the University of Missouri
Department of Neurology
5 Hospital Drive, CE507, DCO47.00
Columbia, MO 65212
All other documents should be sent via email to email@example.com.
Your application will be reviewed upon receipt of your application fee and required application materials. If selected for an interview you will be notified via email. If you are selected for an observership**, you will receive an offer letter via email. Once we have confirmation of you acceptance you will receive information from our HR department to complete the required onboarding activities, such as: background check, immunization check, badge request, and observership payment. The application through interview and onboarding could take up to 6 weeks to complete.
** Selection for an observership is subject to preceptor availability, number of current learners, and department resources. Due to an influx of new residents and fellows, no observership will start in July.